Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Twenty Kanji in Two Weeks; Can I Do It?

I told you I learned the first 80 kanji as learned by first-year (6-year-old!!) students in Japan, and by "learning" I mean *most* of their readings (on-yomi and kun-yomi), their pronunciations, their various meanings, and the, the hardest part: how to write them.

Before I did this, I knew all of them just by looking at them -- I've known them now for almost 25 years, when I first actually set about studying them. But not how to write them all correctly, or all their readings.

The next batch, the second-year study for Japanese kids (seven years old!!) consists of 120 kanji.

These twenty that you see here are just the first 20 of them. Again, I know all of them simply by looking at them; at least, their meanings. I don't know most of their on-yomis (what they would be pronounced as in compounds, or multi-kanji words) but I basically know most of their usages and kun-yomis (Japanese readings).

And I can write maybe give of the simplest from memory.

So: two weeks from today. Can I do it? Could YOU do it? Let's find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment